.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

6.17.2007

12-14 weeks

I wasn't totally scooped. I took a look at the book yesterday, and read the chapters about which I was most worried. The book is on a similar topic to my article - but I think in some ways I do a better job of marshaling empirical evidence and I think the model I build is more persuasive. So, I think they compliment each other - his take is far more in depth historically with extensive case studies - but mine is more in-depth in terms of the actual theory.

I made sure that I sent my piece out to a journal before I perused his book - I didn't want to be influenced by reading his work. I just got an email that it is now being reviewed -and it will be 12-14 weeks before I hear anything! I know that's a typical turn around time - but it's so obscenely long!

It was hard for me to decide where to send it. I find it really hard to figure out what tiers different journals are and how to decide if one's article is a good match. That's not something my advisor ever taught me about in grad school - and I don't really have anyone to ask for help. Some of the journals in my subfield aren't even listed in web of science - and I find that info hard to sort through anyway.

On another note, the editor with whom I talked on friday suggested that a good venue for my op-ed piece would be a local women's publication - or perhaps a national one. I felt frustrated that a discussion of violence against women should be marginalized to a women's publication. It's not a women's issue. Sure, it happens to women - but it affects us all and we all have responsibilities to end and prevent it. Also, a discussion of issues for victims in the justice system is not just about women - it's larger than that.

I took a look at the magazine she suggested, and was slightly horrified. There is one section in it where they supposedly show that women at any age can be beautiful. They highlight local women and talk about their views on themselves and their bodies. One of the questions (and what seems to be the intent of the section) is about their views on plastic surgery. Most of the women had had it, they all claimed to feel really positively about it - and it was framed as being this "go girl" feminist thing. One of the women was a teacher in her early 30s, and had already had at least two forms of plastic surgery! On a teacher's salary???

2 Comments:

At 4:34 PM, Blogger k8 said...

The info about the book is good news!

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Anastasia said...

just yuck on the plastic surgery thing.

and hooray on the book! I'm glad it turned out that way. I hope your paper is well received.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home