.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

6.16.2007

As much as you want to vomit when doing so...

sometimes it is good to hear why republicans think what they do.

Today (when will I learn) my supervisor on the consulting job and I talked about immigration. I had thought that since he emigrated to the US from Asia, he might have some interesting perspectives on immigration reform.

He stated that he was glad that Bush's bill is not passing because he feels that because he is here legally, that those who "break the law" to come to the US are a scourge (my word) on society He sees their illegal status as a slippery slope such that by breaking that law, they will have no compunction against breaking other laws - any other laws.

There is no evidence to support this, by the way - instead it looks like illegal immigrants instead are so terrified of being deported, many (if not most) of them are completely above board - and are model non-citizens.

I asked then why he might not support it solely on economic bases - that our economy would not survive without the work of illegal immigrants. If we deported them, no one would fill the jobs they left vacant. He said that if they were all made lega, they would realize they could all go on welfare and not have to work .. and that would end up costing taxpayers millions and billions of dollars. I argued that that was ridiculous given how paltry the welfare payments are, and we have no evidence that those who are illegal immigrants are anything but exceptionally hard workers for the most part. I also wanted to debate on his assumptions that people who are on welfare are lazy and trying to get out of work .. but his son (luckily) intervened and told us to get back to work.

Later I overheard his son laughing with his dad at Barbara Ehrenreich's book Nickel and Dimed and some her assertions about poverty. It kind of made me ill. I heard them say something about poverty being equated with laziness. It made me hate them.

My supervisor also said about the genocide in Darfur that "those people in Africa" are always fighting and killing each other. Thus, he argued, it is not really a genocide and not something we should worry about. Her told me that this was what his son's history teacher was saying, and that I ought educate myself on it. I informed him (rather chillily) that I'm actually quite well educated on genocide - including genocide in Africa - and that it is indeed true genocide occurring there.

I also heard his son say that his history teacher (apparently all their information about politics comes from this damned history teacher and Fox news - that should explain some of this to you) said to them how ironic is is that none of the people who are saying that we are losing in Iraq are actually over there in Iraq. What???

My mind was kind of buzzing for the rest of the day. I think of myself as informed and open - but I can honestly say that I am not open to those kinds of viewpoints. I guess it's good to know, as they say in debate, what the opposing side things and what they give as evidence - but it made me ill.

1 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Blogger Clio Bluestocking said...

I think it is because you are informed that you are not open to those kinds of ignorant view points. They also seem a bit slim on evidence, and don't accept actual evidence that contradicts their own view point. Your story reminds me of Christmas at home in Texas!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home