.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

6.02.2007

Can't seem to do anything.

I'm having an indecisive day. I can't seem to figure out what to do, so I am doing nothing. I hate these kinds of days because they seem like wastes. Also, I'm pretty sure it is hotter inside my apartment than it is outside - so it behooves me to leave the house.

In the meantime, I have been blingoing to try to win stuff. I'm curious as to what y'all get (using any search engine you like) when you search for your last names.

Here's what I get:
1. When I search for my mom's last name (cuz remember she went back to her maiden name to avoid the mafia), 99% of what is in english is about my family.
  • My aunt's nutrition research is the very first thing that comes up
  • My cousins' swim meet times come up next
  • My cousin who is in the Marines comes up for his bronze star and for having met Cheney (ick)
  • Some chick in Ohio shares our last name - she's the only other person who comes up in English language sites. I have no idea who she is.
  • Most of the sites are in an eastern european language.
2. When I search for my last name, most sites are in dutch. The others are about people who have my last name, but are likely not related to me including an economist, some scientists, faculty at various universities, a famous swimmer, a supermodel, a composer, someone who has my dad's name but who is not my dad (and that kind of freaked me out), someone named "Bart," and someone doing an homage to "mythopoetic works (?).
  • I'm trying to see how many pages in I have to go before I find someone related to me: am giving up at page 40
  • How many pages before I find myself: page 17, it's my vita - I don't hit my main webpage until page 33

2 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

My last name? Tens of millions of Google entries. Yeah, I'm a delicate, unique flower.

My mom's maiden name? Uh. The one her dad changed it to to make it more mafia friendly (not kidding about that)? (No one there is related to me.) The one he had originally? (No one there is related to me, either.) The one his father claimed it was back in the old country? (Lots of Bulgarian academics. We're not Bulgarian.) Or the one that my grandma on the other side of the family said that it really was in the old country? (Common Jewish name. Tens of thousands of results, all of whom appear to be lawyers.)

Yeah, Google doesn't do a lot for me, genealogically speaking.

 
At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Leslie Anne said...

Cool! My last name is Spitz, too! Except we're not Dutch.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home