.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

6.12.2007

I've been scooped

I just found out that a book has *just* been published on the topic of the article I wrote that was just rejected. This book is being called groundbreaking and brilliant - and I am pissed. It's possible it is maybe not going to reach the US (it's a british book) - or at least maybe not soon. I should hurry up and try to publish my article. I ordered the book in hopes it isn't as research-based as my article. Maybe we have slightly different takes on it. Plus that book looks slightly self-helpy. Or maybe that's wishful thinking - it's $35.00, so that likely means it is academic.

4 Comments:

At 7:26 PM, Blogger Anastasia said...

in my (admittedly limited) experience the "that's exactly what I was going to do/am doing" book is rarely exactly what you were doing or going to do. It will probably be a pleasant surprise when you get it. at least, I hope so.

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger k8 said...

I hope (and believe, because I'm feeling optimistic) that it will complement your work, not overtake it. And really, if it is one that 'compliments', that can be useful as it will get notice from the academic community but won't do it quite how you do. Sort of an early stage of the new hot trend type of thing. You could be on the cutting edge!

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger ding said...

this totally happened to me in grad school. i just had my dissertation topic (and preliminary outline) approved and when i went into the fancy bookstore to see what the big guns were doing there i saw it, by werner sollors: my EXACT dissertation topic!

i was so infuriated i had no choice but to buy it, cross out sollors' face and name with a permanent marker and replace it with mine.

yes. that was totally petty and affected nothing. but it made me feel really really really good. (and it gave my friends a hearty laugh at how completely off the range i was.)

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

anastasia: that's what I'm hoping. I'm having some schadenfreude that the book is starting to get a little negative attention, though!

k8: I don't think I'm on the cutting edge - but I think I have marshaled evidence for something those on thr front lines have thought for years.

ding: I love that idea! Did you have to come up with a whole new idea?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home