.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

6.24.2007

Money or dreams?

I was just offered a full-time position by the guy who is the head of the department where I have been doing editing work.  He offered me a full-time development position.  My responsibilities would be to do alumni relations, fundraising, and event organization.   All of which I totally suck at.  But, it owuld be a full-time job, at a university medical center - good benefits (likely very good), and I would guess a good salary.  He showed me my office - and it is damned pretty. 
 
But, I think I would dislike the job and it would make me sad to not be able to work in my field.  I know I can see it as a means to an end ... and if I take it, that's what I'll do.  I guess I need more details ... like salary in particular.  And maybe tomorrow I will hit up the people with whom I have been really hoping to finagle a job. 

11 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, Blogger Clio Bluestocking said...

Ah, the sweet lure of being able to pay the bills -- and have health coverage.

Crossing my fingers for you for the better job.

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger dr four eyes said...

Congrats on the offer! But I can totally understand the ambivalence.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger BrightStar said...

Well, they must see that your strengths would fit the needs of the job, but I understand why you wouldn't want to take it. It's nice to be affirmed, though! Good luck with the decision making process.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

You never know how one job will lead to another. If anything, the one job offer should give you some confidence to go after the one you really want.

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

Hopefully it at least feels good to know that they think you are worth offering a full-time job to. And it's always nice to have options, even if you decide it isn't right for you.

Is it the sort of thing where you could take it for a year and use that time of relative financial security to try and find something that suits you better?

 
At 4:54 AM, Anonymous Aurelius said...

w00t!!

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Bardiac said...

Congrats on the offer, indeed.

I used to wonder how someone could like the job my Dad did, and then I worked for his office for a while, and I understood. He got to solve problems, talk to people about solving problems, figure out stuff. It WAS interesting.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that maybe you'd find this actual job more interesting than you think?

Good luck with your decision!

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I used to work in a development office. It didn't suck as much as I thought it would, though I was more on the publications end than the fundraising end. And it doesn't lock you into it as a career for life, unless you want it to.

 
At 12:34 PM, Anonymous sheepish said...

Congrats on getting the offer. It makes for a tough decision, but having more options is always good. While I'm trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up, I have to keep reminding myself what my mom always tells me: No job has to be forever. People leave positions all the time.

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger k8 said...

Means to an end can be very very good. Just the comfort of having steady pay and benefits can make it so much easier to get to the place you want to be. But obviously you know whether or not you can deal with this job and its potential headaches/frustrations. There's no need to be miserable, either.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Limon de Campo said...

Congrats on the offer. I agree with everyone who noted that jobs don't have to be forever. On the other hand, being miserable at work is pretty stressful. This is a tough decision, I'm sure.

Best wishes with everything.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home