.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

6.03.2007

My current food obsession

Is vegetarian fried rice. There is a new noodle place in the city that makes an awesome vegetarian fried rice. It is chock full of fresh vegetables (incl. asparagus and some non-button mushrooms), and topped with tons of pickled ginger. But, they put so much oil in it that it hurts my tummy (plus it has water chestnuts in it - which I loathe with a passion). I recently tried Trader Joe's vegan fried rice (I typed friend rice by accident) - but it was too laden with sauce. I looked up some recipes and found that it is basically rice with veggies, and then garlic and soy sauce - so I decided to make my own.

Today I got some frozen edamame, frozen chopped spinach, frozen corn/peas/carrots mix, and some brown rice from Trader Joe's. I cooked the veggies a little, added the brown rice, put in some garlic and soy sauce (plus a little ginger stir fry sauce), and some tofu. Basically it is more vegetables than rice - so it is really pretty. When it was done, I served it with pickled ginger. I think the ginger really makes it special. Anway, I highly recommend this as a super easy way to get lots of veggies. Adding tofu and edamame makes it more proteinous, and brown rice makes it fiberrific!

I should add, I never really liked fried rice previously - so I recommend trying this even if it's not your fave dish.

1 Comments:

At 5:46 AM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I was lucky enough to share an office with a Chinese philosopher many years ago... she told me how to make fried rice and pointed out that you can make it over the weekend and eat it all week. You can also use the same technique with leftover noodles.

I do it all the time, of course, I'm not a vegetarian, so I add egg.

Also, if you want it to feel more like a full meal, you can get some frozen pot stickers or eggrolls. There are some excellent veggie options for both -- and, since you are in New York, you can probably find an asian market and get a large bag of them for next to nothing.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home