.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

6.02.2007

Necessity being the mother of invention, and all

or perhaps I should say "necessity" because there was no actual need involved.

Last weekend when I went to the big huge mall in the suburbs, I stopped at forever21. This is an obsession of mine because it is cheap and every store has different items (esp. in terms of jewelry) and different sizes (if you can't find something in your size at one store - try another). While there, I found two rings I just "had to have." Given that they were each less than $4.00, it wasn't horrible that I "needed" them. What was horrible, however, was that they were both size 6s - and I have huge hands. No go. But I was convinced I could make them work. Plus, the huge forever21 in the city rarely has rings there - so I knew I'd be unable to find my size elsewhere.

Here are the two rings:


Do you see why I needed them? I took them home and had thought I might take the flowers off and put them onto ring blanks (the ring part only) that fit. But then I thought, why not just clip the ring and make it into an adjustable ring? And that's what I did. I used wirecutters to make a cut in the ring, and then stretched them a little - and now they both fit! Wahoo! I feel like this opens up a whole new world for me - at least in terms of hacking cheap rings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home