.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

6.30.2007

The not-much-of-a-day-off day off grouchies

I may or may not have today off. Well, I already know I don't. It's possible I may get called to come in today to help with the grant. I asked to have today off, but they said they might need me.
When I left last night I was told to "take the night offf! watch a movie or something!" But I can tell you it is hard to relax when you don't know if you might get called in to work the next day - it is hard to feel like you have control over your life or to make any plans. I oculdn't sleep last night because I had such anxiety over this.

Today so far I've not yet been asked tocome in - but it may still come. However, my supervisor did email me with some stuff to read and edit. ARGH!

What they seem to fail to realize is that when someone is editing, they need time off from reading the text to-be-edited and they need versions to be different (I swear that quite literally only a few words change in between versions - and half the time, the edits I make are not actually adopted - so I keep making the same comments over and over).

For the past 8 days, and the past 4 weekends, I have been reading the whole grant over and over and over and over. Reading the same thing that many times causes things to blur together, you fail to see what has been changed (as edits are never marked - and they never say, "could you read this section" they always just print out the whole damned thing and tell me to read it again), and you tend to gloss over things because your brain is oversaturated.

And in fact my supervisor announced to me that he had found a "huge problem" that I had missed - a word was misspelled in parts of the grant. Well, okay, sorry - but how many gazillions of errors *have* I found? And the word was the super long name of a chemical - so I suggested that he add the technical words he uses to the microsoft word dictionary so that it will pick up on those.

They just don't seem to realize that it is better for them if they give me a whole day off - they will get a more fresh look at their grant, which they really need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home