.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

6.05.2007

Overheard at the tea shop

-Paris Hilton is only 19

- No, no, she's 21. She just celebrated her birthday in Las Vegas.

- I thought she was young, like 20.

-Well, she was 20, and then she turned 21.

- She's really young for all that she has accomplished!



Interestingly, for the first time on the news I heard someone refer to her education level. The newscaster noted she "only has a high school education." I wonder why she didn't go to college? Shouldn't families like that be totally into going to the best colleges? Did Nikki go to college?

I wish no ill for the woman - but I hope this is the start of a deParisization of the media. I am tired of her. And Lindsey Lohan. And Britney. And Nicole Richie - who's only real claim to fame is that she lost weight.

Speaking of, I am so annoyed by Valerie Bertinelli. She was interviewed on Ellen a while back and she noted, "My job right now is to lose weight!" That just makes me ill. There is something just so wrong about women being encouraged to spend all of their time - and consider it a job - focusing on their appearance and altering their appearance.

3 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Blogger Anastasia said...

first of all valerie bertinelli looks fantastic, making the new jenny craig commercials just plain weird. they don't even have her dressed frumpily (frumpily?) anymore. And I think you posted this before but the second thing is...she looks like she's the same size if not smaller than kirstie alley, contributing even further than the weird yuckiness of the whole enterprise. ehhhh.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Seeking Solace said...

I don't have any ill will toward them either, but like you, I am sick of hearing about them. It's a shame that with all that money, you would think they would continue their education at any college they wanted. Although, I do believe that Nicole did attend Univ or Arizona for two years.

"My job is to loose weight." Good grief, that is just what's wrong with the world.

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

anastasia: I know! She looks fine! She's thinner than Kirstie Alley who also looks fine - but the juxtaposition of the two of them makes it just sad when Kirstie brags about her weight loss. And this latest commercial annoys me because Valerie is moaning about all the foods she can eat (pizza, pasta, etc.) and it seems to me that a successful weight loss program will teach people to develop tastes for healthier foods - this just encourages them to stay on Jenny Craig forever (a friend of mine went on it and literally starved because it wasn't enough calories - and she would then binge like crazy once she was off both because she still ate the same foods - but not low fat/low calorie versions and because she was starved!). I'm no proponent of weight loss programs - but when I worked with women in an eating disorder clinic, I really focused with them on making choices that made them feel good about themselves and developing a different and healthier relationship with food. We never talked about pounds or calories or fat - just about emotions and developing a healthy self-image irrespective of weight.

seeking solace: and their connections too! All the hiltons have to do is buy Harvard a building or two, and I'm sure they could get precious little Paris in. I don't wish them ill - except I kind of do because sometimes I wish they would lose everything and see what it is really like. But then I am certain their connections would make them just as well off as before. SES seems awfully immutable at times to me.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home