.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

6.28.2007

Random bullets of trauma

  • Last night I had a dream (nightmare?) about Laura Bush. I must have fallen to sleep imagining Bush dreaming about ponies (because of his birthday - as suggested by the NARAL email). I dreamt that Laura Bush came with a cake, and I helped hold the cake (Bush's birthday cake) while she cut it. I remember being a total ass-kisser in the dream, and I gushed about her and Barbara's work in Africa, and how poised Barbara was turning out to be (oh gag me!).
  • Later in the dream, the popemobile drove up and we thought ex-President Clinton was in it, but it was just a Clinton impersonator
  • Speaking of Clinton - there's been some talk recently in the NOW newsletters about sexism in the discussions of the presidential candidates. They are arguing that Hillary Clinton is being called only "Hillary" (first-naming her) whereas other candidates are called by their full, or last, names (thus conferring more power and respect). Apparently they dismiss claims by the media that calling her "Clinton" would be confusing as people would automatically think of Bill. My reaction is first one of guilt because I always call her Hillary, but refer to the others as Obama and Edwards, etc. But then I know that when I have read NYT articles in which she is solely called Clinton, I get confused because I *do* automatically think of Bill. NOW argued that the media have been able to keep Bush and elder Bush separate. But, from what I can see, they do this by first naming Bush too - often he is referred to as simply "George W."
  • I do agree, however, that the sexism in the portrayal of the candidates needs to end - we need to stop referring to their appearance, stop using feminine attributes as derogations, and need to stop talking about their weight (Al Gore's too!).
  • I'm sure you've now read (if you live in the US, that is) about the pro-wrestler who killed his wife (bound her hand and foot and then strangled her) and then a day later killed his 7-year-old son (it looks like he used a wrestling move on him to kill him) and then killed himself. At first the media was blaming this on steroid use (Benoit used steroids), but so-called "roid rage" doesn't fit how premeditated this seems to have been, and how drawn out it was (usually, I guess, "roid rage" is highly impulsive). Now they are saying that it was because his son had "fragile x syndrome" which leads to retardation, autism, and it there is some speculation that he had dwarfism. Apparently Benoit had his son on steroids (scary), and it sounds like the suggestion is that he took it personally that his some was "defective" and would not be big, strong, and manly like Benoit.
  • It seems to me there is something wrong with our construction of masculinity if it is so easily threatened by something like a child's disability, a woman's pregnancy, a woman having power, a woman leaving, etc. I really think this is the vanguard for men - revising their relationship to masculinity and becoming more comfortable with various ways of being a man, being in relationship, and sharing power.
  • And, I think men need to take that charge.
  • Paris Hilton, in her interview on Larry King Live (I didn't watch it - clips are on the news), said that one thing that helped her were all the letters of support she got from fans.
  • Did any of you write letters to her? If so, we'll need to talk.

And here's the NARAL email that gave me nightmares:

No Pony Mr. President!


With his birthday just around the corner, George W. Bush is probably dreaming about ponies and presents. After all, he has been a "good boy" to his anti-choice cronies during his two terms.

This year, the Supreme Court's ruling on Bush's Federal Abortion Ban took the cake. Thanks to Bush-appointed Justices John Roberts and Samuel Alito, the Supreme Court essentially eliminated a core protection of Roe v. Wade - that a woman's health must always be protected. Rarely has a single court ruling so clearly demonstrated why elections matter and why we must make a change.

Make your contribution to NARAL Pro-Choice America and we will send Bush your pro-choice birthday wishes -- a commitment to take back the White House and return a pro-choice majority to Congress in 2008!

Enough is enough! Tell Bush that he can't have his cake and eat it, too.

But hurry, Bush's birthday is July 6 -- only days away!

2 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Blogger Ianqui said...

on bush and clinton--I've seen H.W. referred to as Bush the Elder or the elder Bush or some variant, but what in that vein would you use to differentiate bill and hillary clinton? I guess they could go with Rodham Clinton, and that would make her happy because then she gets to keep the name she always wanted to use.

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Anastasia said...

if I'd written her a letter, she wouldn't have liked it.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home