.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

6.29.2007

Sad kitty news

My mom's cat seems to be failing. We figured out recently that she is likely to be 17 years old - so she's had a long life.

I found her when I lived in hippy college town. She was a beautiful persian-esque kitten; she had long, fluffy black hair that was white at the roots (apparently that is rare and makes her valuable). She just wandered into my life, and she was so sweet and cuddly - I couldn't believe anyone had abandoned her. I loved her, but wasn't in a place where I could keep her, so I convinved my parents to take her when they came to hippy college town when I had to have a bone biopsy.

I had tentatively named her "Mandy" after one of my beloved dools when I was a kid (Mandy dolls - remember them?), but my parents renamed her Ditzy - as she was exactly that. When she was hungry, she would bang her head against the bottom o the island in their kitchen (ouch!).

Even though she is a beautiful and elegant kitty, when I gave her catnip toys, she would just lay on them and drool all over them (not very refined behavior!).

After my dad died, my mom got a dog. They don't totally get along, but they did develop (almost literally) a dog and pony show to get attention and food. They would wait until my mom seemed to not be looking, Ditzy would go and put her neck under the dog's mouth, he would grad her scruff and would drag her along the floor. Thius would get my mom's attention: goal achieved!

I don't know how much longer she has left - she's stopped eating. I urged my mom to try canned food as it may be a tooth issue (my mom claims she doesn't like canned food - but at xmas I fed her some and she went nuts for it). She's still really active - jumping on the roof, catching birds (she once killed a blue jay! and once a hummngbird! She's quite the hunter!). I'm a little worried my mom is just tired of having her and may just put her to sleep. They did that with my dog - they just decided to put him to sleep,a nd told me that a few weeks later.

She's been a great cat - so sweet and cuddly. I love her tremendously.

3 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Blogger Ianqui said...

These symptoms sound a little like when my cat was dying--she had oral cancer. A lot of drool accompanied the cancer, so that may be a sign.

Anyway, I'm really sorry to hear about it. The cat sounds awesome. (I wish you had a film of the dog and pony show.)

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger BrightStar said...

I'm sorry about your mom's cat. She sounds like a great kitty. (Yes, I had a Mandy doll.)

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Seeking Solace said...

I am so sorry about your mom's kitty! She sounds like such a sweet cat.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home