.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

6.15.2007

Snow White's trip to the zoo

I went to a huge zoo yesterday with a friend off mine I'd not seen in a while (ever since she moved to the 'burbs, actually). This friend calls me Snow White because I always talk to the critters in the city - squirrels, pigeons, you name it - I try to chat with them.

So you can imagine that there was a lot of chatter from me at the zoo. Every single critter I saw, I said "Hi!" to, asked them how they were, what they were up to, told them they were pretty, etc. I have also begun this unfortunate habit of waving to the critters (both waving hi and bye). Luckily, I don't think she was awfully embarrassed - she didn't try to ditch me, nor did she pretend to not know me.

It was an incredibly awesome day. We got to pet goats and other critters - we got to see baby piglets, a baby bear, baby gorillas, baby giraffe, and other things. We walked until we could walk no more, and got way too much sun. My big critique of this particular zoo is that water was in short supply. It was really hard to find water fountains, and we were both parched much of the day -and pretty dehydrated to boot. A teeny tiny bottle of water was $2.75 - which I ended up getting because the lack of hydration was wearing on me - but it was impossible to fill it up anywhere. A full bottle of water was over $4! A regular bottle of soda was $3.75. Obscene!

[I've been scooped again! I had this great idea for a tv show for Joss Whedon to do - a modern take on greek mythology in which modern day humans find out that they are teenaged versions of the greek gods. On the Today Show, they are talking about a new series of books on exactly that! And it's being made into a movie! Argh!]

One thing that surprised me was that I have an unusual number of animal stories. When the firend with whom I went gets tired, hungry, or dehydrated, she tends to get quiet and a little grouchy. I, in turn, become hyper chatty. So I blathered on and on at each animal exhibit about the relevant (or not-so-relevant) animal story. Here's my list of critters about which I have personal stories (it will give you a good idea of how annoying I am to be with):

  • bears, particularly grizzly bears
  • raccoons
  • oppossums
  • goats
  • tigers/lions
  • snakes
  • crocodiles
  • iguanas
  • meercats
  • penguins
  • jellyfish
  • sand cat
  • manta rays
  • Oh, and I have a bat story too.
Yup, I had to regale my friend with each and every story. I now also have a good one about peacocks. While we were there, we saw a male peacock with his feathers all spread out (just out and about on the zoo grounds). These two elderly women told us he was trying to woo us. My friend then saw a female peahen trying to hide in the bushes. I commented that men will do anything to try to get sex - which I then had to repeat for the elderly women - which embarrassed me.

Afterwards I stopped at an organic bakery that is a chain, but is not in the city (much to my huge disappointment). When I lived in hippycollegetown, this same bakery provided bread to all the natural grocery stores in town, so getting yummy organic whole grain bread was super easy. I also for a while had a roommate who worked at that bakery and would bring home their experiments and rejects ... I have missed that bread so much. So, now I have a loaf of coconut bread (yummy) and sunflower seed/millet bread (superb for sandwiches as it is delicate, but crunchy) here at home.

3 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Blogger BrightStar said...

Please to tell more animal stories.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

Yes, I'm totally hoping that that list of animals you have stories about is a teaser for tales to come.

I especially want to know the jellyfish one.

And I wave hello and goodbye to animals at the zoo too!

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

but it's not like they are good stories - they're more like, "One time, at band camp, there was an iguana!"

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home