.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

6.11.2007

Trying to reduce my dependence on foreign sugar

domestic sugar too.

I seem to have an urge to be healthier of late. Case in point: I've been craving fruit. Crazy. Plus, I've noticed a potential connection between sugar and migraines lately - but that may be a spurious connection. Nonetheless, I'm going to reduce my sugar consumption. I'm not going cold turkey or anything - but I know I feel better when I eat more fruits and veggies, lower fat, and more whole grains. Last week's fried rice obsession was the beginning of this (it was healthy due to the very small amount of oil I used, the brown rice, and the tons of veggies and tofu). Today at Trader Joe's I got the stuff for spinach, fruit, and goat cheese salad. I just had some with my maple-fig salad dressing. Yum.

Are Trader Joe's employees trained to flirt or something? Every time I go there, I swear the male employees are awfully sociable - unusually so. Here's today's conversation:

Him: Are you part Irish?

Me: No. Are you?

Him: Well, obviously I am half black - but I am also half scottish.

Me: Wow. That's unusual.

Him: Well, you look Irish with that vivid auburn hair and your pale skin. You don't have the freckles though.

Me: ???? (vivid auburn hair???). Uh, well, no I'm half Dutch.

Him: Well, you're beautiful nonetheless.

me: Uh, thanks. [runs off]

5 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I think they *are* flirting with you. I'd enjoy it. All I get nowadays are "Ma'am" or "Lady".

:::sighs:::

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Propter Doc said...

I had a similarly strange experience a couple of months ago at the market. I was trying to decide what I wanted to buy (and Dr R was right there next to me, talking to me), and the guy behind the counter complimented me on my lack of make up and that it made me beautiful. He and Dr R had this (exceedingly strange and embarrassing) conversation about my lack of make up being attractive. I just about ran from the building. Like it's a compliment when you're on your own but when you're with you're bloke and they start discussing it? WTF? Just odd.

Anyway, I think there are similarities between the Dutch and the Irish (and the Scots and Scandinavians) interms of being fairer. Northern Europeans are fair...

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

propter doc: but my other half is swarthy eastern european! My mom is quite olive skinned (she also has no body hair, which is weird). My dad was super fair though. Our eyes are so pale we are at huge risk of getting eye ulcer-things. We were not built for warm weather.

Dr. Deb: even at trader joe's? Cuz you are waaaaayyyy cuter than me.

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous twirly said...

you should have given him your number!

my parents always say that they must give the whole foods employees some pot before there shifts because they are always SOOOO happy....maybe it's the same at Joe's

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous twirly said...

Ahh I wrote there instead of their - please don't judge...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home