.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

6.26.2007

What I saw last week...

As I mentioned in an earlier post, a friend and I went to a zoo out in the 'burbs 2 weeks ago. We were so exhausted from all the walking and the heat and the dehydration and the stinkiness, that we left before seeing the wolves. Problem is, I really love wolves. So on friday I went to the zoo in the city. I didn't get to see much as I moseyed in at about 3:30, and they were closing at 5 for some big concert.

But, I did get to see - for about 17 seconds (quite literally) a mama wolf and her babies! OMG! baby wolfies! They looked just like the baby above. I wanted to snorgle their little snouts!

I also saw the lions ... as I was watching them (and desperately wanting to pet them) a duck flew into their habitat. And the lions saw him! And they were excited! And the crowd was screaming!

It's funny, because I was kind of hoping the lions would get the duck. I didn't want the duck to die - but I'm big into survival of the fittest.* So I was secretly rooting for the lion. People were trying to get the staff members to intervene (?!) and save the duck. I bet I was the only one in the crowd who didn't eat meat - and yet I had no problem with what was occurring. Sadly (or not) the lion was a bit too loud and clumsy, and the duck flew away. Stupid duck kept flying back in though - so maybe I'm for survival of the smartest.


* as long as the unfit one isn't super cute. When I went to disneyworld** a couple xmasses ago, we went to the animal kingdom. When we were at the meercat exhibit, a bunny rabbit wandered in and was hopping about. At first I thought it was super cute - until I saw that meercats eat bunnies (despite being smaller) and saw the meercats circling the bunny. I became slightly (and inwardly) hysterical. I think it maybe isn't just the cuteness factor - but also the disgust factor. A lion eating a duck would be likely pretty mild and quick - but a herd of meercats attacking a bunny would likely be traumatizing for all observers! Luckily the bunny hopped right on out.

** disneyworld was my mom's choice - this was when she was in her big "I can't be at my house for xmas" kick after my dad died. Which isn't to say I didn't like disneyworld - I freaking loved it*** especially the animal kingdom and the towel animals the hotel maids left for us.

*** except when I thought I was dying and had to go to the Disney ER.

2 Comments:

At 10:57 PM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

My mom lives about an hour from the International Wolf Center in Ely, MN. I love to go there and watch the pack... they are really pretty in the winter snow.

Last time I was there in the late summer they had wolf pups and they brought them inside for a visit. They were so sweet! I tried to take photos, but they wouldn't let us us a flash and the pups moved so fast that my photos might as well be fuzzy bunnies or something...

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Clio Bluestocking said...

The lion was probably thinking, "Human with a side of duck? Score!"

I want to pet the wolves. They would eat me, but I still want to pet them. Is that how they lure prey?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home