.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

7.04.2007

Another open letter to the democratic candidates:

You apparently decided to not heed my last letter, in which I implored you to please email me something other than a plea for money. This makes me even more tired of your begging, I'm sorry to say.

Today's letter implores you once again. Today I'd like to ask you to consider our needs. And you know what I need today? I need some hope, and I need some reason to celebrate. As other bloggers have pointed out, it is hard in this current political climate to celebrate being an American. The supreme court, the vice president, and the president have made me fairly well sheepish to declare my americanness. Really, what is there to take pride in? Segregation? Croneyism? War? Violence? Dwindling rights for women? Unemployment? Poverty? Horrible healthcare?

Seriously, it has got me wondering if independence from Great Britain wasn't a huge mistake on our part. I freely admit to being an anglophile, but it seems hard to point to anything that could be bad right now about being on of their colonies rather than being an independent country. At the very least, we'd all have health care.

So in my day of pessimistic and anti-american ruminations, I would like to be able to turn to you, democratic candidates, to give me some hope that were any of you elected, you could make us proud to be americans. And yet, I hear nothing. Not a peep - except for some more damned fundraising emails yesterday Why not take the opportunity to remind us why you will change things (rather than just vaguely promising changes)? Why not point to signs up hope. Better yet, why not tell us about your accomplishments as a way of helping us to see what we could expect were we to support you (and this is particularly meant for you, Obama - seriously, besides writing some strongly worded letters to people - what have you actually done for the US? For Illinois? This is a serious question - I really want to know what actual things you have accomplished in your time in the US Sentate!).

I can't be the only demoralized one out there - in fact, I know I'm not. This is your chance to give us hope again. I liken this to how I felt after 9.11 - Bush's words did nothing for me, I craved at that time the comforting and hopeful rhetoric of Clinton. We need that kind of voice again - now is the time to step up and show us how you can be a beacon of hope, not just a moocher.

xxoo

shrinky

p.s. if you could also voice your opinion that dumbledore is not dead - and that were you elected, you would do anything in your power to bring him back - and that snape is not bad (cuz I loves me some alan rickman) that'd be super. kthxbye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home