.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

7.28.2007

Can't we all just get along?

I heard on the news that a bunch of towns/cities have outlawed the sale of bottled water. I think this is ridiculous and would be outraged if that were to occur here. I understand that there are grave concerns about the actual bottles and that water bottles are not recyclable - and further that the manufacturing of the bottles is really bad too. And these both have significant implications for the earth's health, and relate to global warming.

However, I would imagine that bottled water has done wonders for getting people to drink water - and the easy availability of it has allowed people to choose water over soda or not so healthy juices. I honestly doubt that the effect of outlawing bottled water will be to encourage people to bring their own water from home, or to drink more tap water at home. I may be wrong - someone should study this. My hunch is that if bottled water is outlawed, people will instead drink sodas and juices, not tap water. They will buy a bottle of diet coke at the 7-11 if they are thirsty rather than acting preventatively by bringing a bottle from home to fill from a tap.

Personally, I re-use my water bottles over an over - likely unhealthily, actually. I don't own a good water bottle - mostly because I find them hard to keep clean (due to my being a slob), hard to keep period (I lose stuff constantly), and hard to clean well without a dish washer. I also do buy a decent amount of bottled water - because I often forget to bring an old bottle - and I need to drink constantly when I teach or do other things that cause me any kind of anxiety. Plus, I love those aquafina flavored waters (taste like jello!), vitamin waters, and those new tropicana grapefruit waters. At home, I only drink tap water.

So here's my solution - water machines. At whole foods there is a water machine thingy with filtered from which you can fill your own jugs. These should be put into restaurants, convenience stores, etc. Except, there should be 12 ounce (or whatever) recycled bottles available (for a small fee) that maybe are kind of cool to encourage re-use, and some sort of a discount if you bring our own container. Moreover, you should have flavor choices. Some water filter company has made an ingenious product that allows you to put a flavor filter in your water filter (the kind you attach to your faucet), so maybe that could be used in the water machine.

I don't think the desire for bottled water is going away any time soon - and I think in terms of health, it ought not. It's interesting that outlawing foods seems to be such a trend - foie gras, certain kinds of fats, water ... what's next? Personally, I would like to outlaw anything stinky on the subway - any kind of stinky food. I would also like to outlaw the use of eggs as a "vegetarian" option. Starbucks has some new sandwiches and salads - and their so-called vegetarian sandwich is an egg salad. Yuck! If people want to eat eggs, fine. If places want to serve eggs, fine. But, not everyone considers eggs to be vegetarian, and they ought not be *the* vegetarian option.

4 Comments:

At 5:44 PM, Anonymous twirled said...

bottled water has no regulations for all you know you could drink poison disgused as bottled water...tap water is regulated and clean and healthy and cheap...buy a nalgene bottle - the plastic doesn't hold smells or tastes...

 
At 5:47 PM, Anonymous twirled said...

also san fran is the city that outlawed - and they didn't outlaw it for the city - the city since they know they treat their water and it is good said that at city employee events they wouldn't buy bottled water which is a mark up of about 400% (like popcorn at the movies)

 
At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eggs *are* vegetarian. They're not vegan, tthey're most definitely vegetarian (i.e. NOT MEAT).

 
At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eggs *are* vegetarian. They're not vegan, but they're most definitely vegetarian (i.e. NOT MEAT).

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home