.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

7.15.2007

I can do be putting owt fashun fires


Styley emailed me for some last minute advice on what to wear tomorrow. Her first day as a lecturer! Woo hoo! So, if you visit this blog in time, wish her the best of luck (but do it here!). She's a little leery of posting teaching stuff on her blog now as one of her students reads her blog!!! So, it is a good time to cast a vote for styley to start up a super secret teaching blog so we don't miss out on her teaching anecdotes. We can also then start a pool on how long it will be before she starts getting tempted to get a slurpee cup filled with pina colada (or margarita - what is it they have in the cafeteria there???) to take to class with her.

She said I could post this - and I won't summarize since she's so darned cute:

Anyway, my question is: what should I wear for my big first ever day as a real lecturer tomorrow? I have attached photos of all the possible bits. Other considerations: shoes are either cute black ankle boots or Doc Martens. (Probably the former). I have numerous scarves and shawls. It is freaking cold here, so I need to wear layers (I'm no good at layers). I have some other basics that I haven't photographed, e.g. tights, leggings, a white shirt, a black shirt, coats, etc. I don't own black trousers, though!

My main concern is getting a look that says, "I am TOO grown-up enough to be teaching this class."

Please help me, Shrinky One Kenobe. You're my only hope :)













The goal is simplicity, professionalism, comfort, and no self-consciousness.

Are the trousers grey? Wear those with a white blouse and the mauve (?) blazer. For warmth, one thing that looks cute is to wear a contrasting colored t shirt over the blouse - like if you wore a shirt like this

over a white blouse. When you put a blazer over it, it looks like you have a vest on underneath (and if you have a sweater vest, all the better).

Option number two would be the loden jacket with the skirt right below it (but what color is it? black?) with a white blouse. You could put a shirt over that too - like maybe the raspberry one that is second to the bottom - or a t shirt with some color. Berries looks great with loden.

If you feel comfy with a scarf, wear it. The only issue is if it makes you feel fussy or if you would fiddle with it.

With either, wear tights (or leggings with the skirt) and the boots.

Does that help? Try it all on tonight and make sure it is clean, no holes, and not too wrinkly so you don't have to freak out tomorrow. Remember that you want to feel good in what you are wearing - it doesn't matter how fashionable it is. But you'll look great - so no worries.

Have a great first day, Styley!!!!! You'll be fabulous. May the force be with you. Worst case, do a phlegmy voice and say "Luke, I can be your father!" And the students will either laugh, or assume you are so old that your cultural references are beyond them.

5 Comments:

At 1:52 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

Good luck, Styley! You'll be fabulous.

Shrinky, I think I want you to come up with an entire fashion makeover for me. Why did I not make you do that when we met?

 
At 4:22 AM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

If you really loved me, you would have corrected my spelling too :) (The way I spelled Obi Wan Kenobi makes me cringe.)

But as I just said in my email, you are the best ever and totally helpful. Hooray! Thank you! (I'm going to go with option one).

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger The History Enthusiast said...

Styley, what cute clothes you have! Good luck!

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger The History Enthusiast said...

P.S. I do think you should start a teaching blog. Ever since my former student found my site I've been thinking about doing the same. Or, perhaps we could combine our efforts to start a teaching site together? What do ya think?

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

History Enthusiast, I would love to start a joint site! The other option I was considering was starting a second blog with my same template, password protecting it, and then linking to it in my sidebar as though it were a label ("teaching"): I was thinking maybe I could even hack it to sit in with the other labels. But I hadn't come up with a good way of getting the password to everyone who might want it, though. If I said, "email me for the password", there's no reason a student couldn't email me posing as an ordinary reader. With either plan, my main concern is that eventually I'd like to be able to import my posts back into my ordinary blog. But I have no idea whether that is possible under Blogger, even.

(Sorry, Shrinky. I'm stealing your comments thread with my thinking out loud.)

I'll email you, History Enthusiast.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home