.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

7.13.2007

I do can give fashun advies

A regular reader (but lurker?) of this blog saw my suggestions over at profgrrl's when she asked for clothing advice. The reader asked if I might give advice on a dress to wear at a company event. She asked for something dressier (I think) than this, but in the same vein:




I am always up for giving fashion advice - so never hesitate to ask. One of my favorite blogging moments was when brightstar asked for conference attire suggestions....I had so much fun coming up with ideas - and even better, I think she even used them to help her shop.

Anyway, the reader noted too both that she doesn't wear dresses, and that she is an "apple." Now, I myself am a banana, so I'm not sure how to translate my tastes to a different fruit, but I gave it a shot.

These first four dresses are from anthropologie. The second one is fairly similar to the dress she likes - but it looks to me like it might be dressier (based on the fabric). I'm not so sold on the floral one - I go back and forth on it. I do love the first one though - the bodice looks super flattering.






These next two are from j crew. The second one also comes in a non-strapless version. I imagine the first one isn't what she is looking for at all, but I think it is stunning. I don't like strapless dresses, but have had great luck with making straps from wide ribbon.


The rest of these are from Nordstrom. A good thing about getting dresses from there is their very liberal return policy - thus you could purchase a few and try them on, and return the ones you don't like.

The chiffon is what makes this one dressy - and I like the wider straps. It's not my favorite my a long shot, but it is a nice change from all the thin straps.


I quite like the dropped waist of this, and love gunmetal grey

For my shape, an empire waist is ideal - which is partly why I like this one. It looks liek it could either be super flattering or horrendously unflattering.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of anything sleeveless - and really not a fan of halters - but I love the pattern of this - and I think the shape is just lovely and classic. It would be a nice, unique but timeless purchase.
This is like a ballerina dress! I love the skirt - it would be floaty, and all would would want to do would be to twirl around in it and watch the skirt float on air.


Eyelet is not a dressy fabric - but I like the bodice of this one. If it came in a darker color, it would look dressier (and it might - I didn't check).

I love the layers of this one so much.

This one has a nice simple shape, with pretty details. The wide waist would be really flattering.

I actually have a dress like this from forever 21 - I wear it with a 3/4 sleeve t shirt under it, or with a vintage beaded cardigan over it. The dress I have that is like this is so obscenely flattering, it is astounding. One thing I like about mine is that the sash is so long, you can wrap it multiple times around, thus creating a wide waistband.

I have an unnatural love for this - far too much cleavage, but I love the sash and the skirt.
Pretty, simple. Not fond of the contrasting straps - but I like the rest.

This is cutely 50s-esque. I like brocade a lot (even though Tim Gunn does not).

Similar to some of the above, but the skirt overlay makes it dressier.

Very simple - with a gorgeous skirt. I'd add a sash though - but obviously I'm big on sashes.

And I'd probably wear shoes like these:



10 Comments:

At 12:53 AM, Blogger Propter Doc said...

I love the v-neck dresses, can't deal with halter necks and sleeveless give me the wiggins. The shoes are simply wonderful. I think I like the second from bottom and bottom ones the most. I love buckle shoes.

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

Those shoes are gorgeous. I love the ones second from top and second from bottom, and the heel on the bottom one is cute too.

As for the dresses, they are lovely. I have so many favourites I wouldn't know where to start.

I'm trying to think of fashion questions to ask you. I think you should make "Shrinky's fashun advaises" a regular feature.

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

Ooh, I know! What is the most flattering dress shape for a cockatoo?

 
At 2:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shrinky, You are the best! I am blown away by the suggestions. I love the first dress from Anthropologie, the gunmetal grey dress and the green one with the horizontal layers the best. And, must have the first shoes but that will have to wait till I have more money. And you totally must make this a regular bloggy feature. If I lived anywhere close to you, I would totally beg and bribe you to be my personal fashion consultant.

-R

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger dr four eyes said...

Ooooh! I love the suggestions, esp the shoes.

The timing of this post is too funny: just yesterday, I was thinking that I needed to ask you/teh internets (mainly you ;)for some fashion advice b/c I have a skirt that Chica bought for me and nothing to wear w/ it.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

propter doc: I love buckle shoes too. If only fluevogs were not so spendy ... but they are a much more comfy and sensible big girl shoe.

styley: I'm totally into making it a regular feature - so send questions! And I love those shoes too - but sadly, they are soooo expensive.

Rainee: I hope this was helpful!

dr for eyes: oh! Ask away!

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Propter Doc said...

yeah the fluevogs price frightens me. But the style, the shape they'd make on the foot...wonderful

 
At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Sara said...

Please tell us more about Teh SHOES.

I'm grooving on that first pair and the second from last. Love the lovely retro strappy look.

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger SuzanH said...

Just came by from Phantom Scribbler and I need to know more about the shoes! They are all kinds of awesome!

 
At 1:40 AM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

All of the shoes except for the top ones are from fluevog (fluevogshoes.com, I think). They are quite spendy - but they last forever. I have several pairs of boots (there is an outlet and good sales), and they are teh comfiest and really practical - I have worn them all to death - and fluevog will resole and fix them for you, which is awesome.

The top ones are from anthropologie (anthropologie.com) and are also super spendy. I'm sure you could find similar shoes to those on zappos - it just overwhelms me sometimes so I stuck to easier to navigate sites.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home