.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

7.06.2007

I'm just not in a gritty mood

I have been netflixing too many movies that are just not good for my mood of late. Given that I am still able to cry just by thinking about dumbledore dying a full 4 days after I finished Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince*, I'd say I should just lay off anything depressing. Yet, all I've been netflixing has been super depressing stuff. I cried through Inconvenient Truth, Big Love is disturbing me to no end, The Wire is just to gritty (aka "real") to do anything by deteriorate my mood. Plus, they are all making me far more anxious than is helpful right now. And what else do I have out from Netflix? Grey Gardens (I have a hunch that won't be an upper, and that I might uncomfortably resonate with some aspects of it) and V-Day: Until the violence stops.

I tried to get them to send me Tales from the City (Armisted Maupin's series about San Francisco) and the most recent Harry Potter (that one would help the mood, but I would be wholly unable to see the film version of the latest book right now - at least until I read - hope hope - that he isn't really dead in the upcoming book).

Does anyone have any suggestions for movies? My queue is filled with depressing documentaries and depressing foreign films. I don't like romantic comedies - and I don't like anythign cheesy or overly happy. Goodbye Lenin, or Walk on Water are the perfect kinds of movies for my mood. I feel like I am watching something worthwhile, but they leave me hopeful. Rushmore has the same effect, as does Howl's moving castle (such an awesome film). I also could be in the mood for some 70s childhood favorites. Escape from witch mountain is on my list, but it apparently has a very long wait. Electric company is on there too - but I don't think I watched that all that much as a kid.

I'm off to watch the last episode on the dvd of The Wire. It's a decent show - I can see why people like it - but it's just not where I am right now.

* for the record, I think that's because it reminds me of a loss of my own - not because I became *that* attached to Dumbledore. Although some of it is for him

5 Comments:

At 7:47 PM, Blogger Twirly said...

you know what movie always makes me think about how the life you already have is the life you need or at least it's on the right track is Sliding Doors....

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

If you are looking for some fun kid's movies I have some suggestions...

"Over the Hedge" -- cute but not overly so. Fun with a message.

"Charlotte's Web" -- probably the most beautiful movie I've seen in a long time.

""Bridge to Terabithia" -- about kids, but with a sad edge.

"Sweetland" -- I haven't seen it, but people are raving about it. I think it comes out on DVD next week.

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

Have you seen "Finding Neverland"? It's a little sad (you will cry), but I think it's a happy film overall.

Also, "Miss Potter". If it's on DVD already. Again, one sad moment, but generally a feel-good film.

Ooh ooh, and also, if you haven't seen them:

"Tea with Mussolini"

"Ladies in Lavender"

"Chocolat"

"Amelie"

"Keeping Mum"

"Saving Grace"

(Hmmm, this might be telling you more about my taste in movies rather than actually being helpful. Oh well.)

 
At 1:53 AM, Blogger Clio Bluestocking said...

I have colossally bad taste in movies, which sometimes helps. It's not for everyone (as everyone has told me, repeatedly), but I find much joy in "Joe vs. the Volcano."

Also, "O, Brother, Where Art Thou!" simply because it is so loony.

Surprisingly, I find "Six Feet Under" to be rather uplifting when I am in a dark mood.

 
At 2:06 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

My first thought was Look Both Ways, but you've seen that...

What about:
About a Boy
The Station Agent
Beautiful People
L'Auberge Espagnole
Children of Heaven
Colour of Paradise (the last two are kind of sad, but hopeful)

Ones I'm slightly less sure about, but which are definitely happy:
Happy, Texas
The Dish
The Castle

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home