.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

7.08.2007

It makes me a great therapist, but a creepy friend

I had an awesome local blogger meet up last night. But, I have this annoying trait that causes me a great deal of embarassment when interacting with others. I have the obscenely magnetic memory for the minutiae of others' lives. Brightstar can attest to this, I think, as I recall her being a bit surprised that I was able to recall things about her she no longer remembered.

It's one thing to do this with my clients - it can be annoying to them at times (especially when I remember things they wish to forget, or when I remember inconsistencies), but I think it makes for better therapy. With friends, it is a bit weird - but with fellow bloggers, I fear it can make me look at bit like a stalker.

In the lead-up to the meet-up, I went thrift shopping. I had hoped to find something fun to wear. I went on thursday, and found some things I really liked, but nothing that was perfect for the meet-up. Since I am poor, I decided not to get anything unless I "needed" it. But, I found myself pining over some of the things I left behind. So, on friday I went back and got two of the most awesome dresses ever. One is this incredible knee length shirt dress in variegated purples and blues. Oh my god, it is teh awesomest. But unfortunately, it is a little tight in the hips - tight enough to be tacky. It fits perfectly if I wear it as a shirt (it is lightweight enough that I can scrunch it up or fold the skirt part under), but I so want to wear it as a dress. I frotzed around with it yesterday and tried letting it out a little - but there wasn't enough of a seam allowance to make it quite roomy enough. It's no longer vulgar, but it's still too tight for my comfort level (it's super stretchy - but clingy). One of the other awesome things about it is that the previous owner's name is written in it. I love those kinds of things. I once bought a deep red velvet blazer from this same store, and in it were love poems and a love letter from one girl to another. I saved them.

The other dress is a knee length trapeze dress - but the best part is that it is red with hawaiian flowers all over it. Awesome. I actually would have worn it last night except it requires a cardigan over it as the sleeve length is unfortunate (cap sleeves! ugh!) and it is just too darned hot for a cardigan.

I won't gush on and on any more about the meetup, as one of my huge fears is of doing that and then going to the blog of the other bloggers and seeing them write, "I had the worst time last night. Shrinky is an abomination, and I swear she is stalking me!"

Getting home was kind of dicey, though. Three of us took the same bus, but I got off before them. I went to the store to get cat food (sorry stinkerbelle for not getting it sooner!), and waited for my bus. After about a half hour, I started to fear that it was no longer running (it was about midnight at this point). I went to get on another bus, and asked when my bus stopped running. It stopped at 8pm! Is that crazy or what? On a saturday??? So I had to take a different bus to a train to get home. The trains were running behind because of some problem, and I was stuck in the train station with a bunch of men and one woman who seemed to be reading a bible. One guy was super creepy. He looked like the boy on whom I had a crush in the 6th grade* - but he kept staring at me, and kept talking to the woman reading her bible (who was resolutely reading, and not interacting with him). Nothing happened, but he made me super anxious.




* I see this crush as something of a template for my fears of my impact in relationships. The summer after 6th grade, he was in a jeep with his brother and they were driving super fast through a hilly neighborhood. They went over a hill, and were going so fast, the jeep bounced up and crashed, rolling over and killing them both. I think part of me internalized some fear that I destroy those I fall for.

4 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Blogger BrightStar said...

I'm sorry about the death of your crush. That sounds like an intense experience.

I admire your memory for details. I wish I could be better at that sort of thing.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Claire said...

I don't think your memory for details is creepy. I'm the same way myself and it often shocks people. I also had a rockin' time at the blogger meetup!

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger dr four eyes said...

I'm much the same way, too, though I remember more about other people's lives than my own, sometimes. I sometimes pretend not to remember stuff about other people so that I won't freak them out.

 
At 2:43 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

I often remember things I think will make me look like a stalker so usually I just pretend I don't remember, too. I like when people remember things about me, though.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home