.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

7.24.2007

More on my mormon obsession

I have been reading a book called "Leaving the Saints" which has been really informative in terms of helping me understand mormon stuff. I think part of my interest is that it has seemed to me, in watching Big Love and learning about Mormonism, that religions create a culture. And I think that this is not somethign that really gets explored or taken into account. In psychological research, when we look at cultural differences, we look at race or ethnicity - or maybe geographic region - but we don't explore religion as a culture. We may look at degree of religiosity as a potential factor - but not whether or not someone was raised Mormon, or Catholic, or Jewish as having some effect on personality and temperament.

I don't know enough about religion to really be able to expound upon this at all - and if I were to consider all the things that could differentially affect someone - the list would be endless. In general, psychology isn't so interested in individual differences - it looks for generalities - universal truths (when I try to each a more postmodern perspective on this, students look at me like I'm insane - postmodernism was completely a part of my theatre education, but it really hasn't touched psychology - there is still a belief out there that there is one truth that will generally fit almost everyone).

Oh, I forgot - if anyone is interested, here is a really fascinating article on polygamy in Texas.

4 Comments:

At 8:49 PM, Blogger Anastasia said...

hey welcome to my field! :) fun stuff. I'm really fascinated with mormonism, too. there are lots of them where I'm from but more than that, my dissertation director is lds.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Eddie said...

Did Big Love get you interested in all this mormon stuff, Future Sister Wife?

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

From the sound of the title, it sounds as if it is written by an ex-mormon.

Please, please, please understand that those books are usually very negative and often flat-out untrue. Read some current LDS sources for the other side.

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

anastasia: yeah, your field - but the religious stuff is beyond me - I'm interested in the psych/cultural aspects.

eddie: indeed, dear sisterwife! Indeed! And my obsession with big love, and thus mormonism is all due to you too! I moved it onto my netflix queue just because you mentioned you liked it, and my goal in life is to be as cool as you! :)

inside the philosophy factory: I'm fully able to read critically. And, I happen to find the book really interesting. It is a very current book written by an acquaintance of my ex-advisor.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home