.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

7.09.2007

Parker Posey sure has aged well!

I watched the first two episodes of "Tales of the City" (by Armisted Maupin) today. I didn't realize that Parker Posey was in it. When I saw her, I was amazed that she looks exactly the same then as she does now! I thought it was filmed in the mid 70's, which would make her in her 50s or so. And I kept thinking, "Damn, she looks good for being in her 50s! Who knew!"

Then I looked at the dvd sleeve and saw it was made in 1994. That makes more sense.

I highly recommend this series - it was quite risque at the time as it has female nudity (it was shown on PBS, but is a BBC production), drug use, and openly depicts gay and lesbian relationships. The acting is a bit stilted, but the costumes are fabulous! I remember watching this when it first came out, and wanting to live on 28 Barbary Lane (the apartments are fabulous!) and to live in San Fran.

It's a great depiction of SF and California in the 70s, and is an engrossing series.

Oddly, the lead (Laura Linney) gets a job as a secretary at an ad agency that represents the people who make "Ditto" jeans. We were just talking about dittos last night -- it seems as though they were strictly a California trend, as I've never met a non-Californian who has even heard of the brand.

I keep thinking it'd be fun to start a blogger movie club. Would anyone be interested? We could all watch a specific movie each month and then discuss it?

3 Comments:

At 9:20 AM, Blogger Clio Bluestocking said...

Oh, I totally remember Dittos from like 6th-8th grade. All the cool girls wore them (hence, I wore cheap knock-offs).

Movie club! Yea!

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Twirly said...

I could be down with movie club. Add some more to my 400+ queue!

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger BrightStar said...

I don't know about Dittos.

I would enjoy a movie club.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home