.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

1.15.2008

Help me feel better about my job...

and tell me horror stories about your own jobs, or jobs you've had (note: stories about annoying undergrads do not count!).

===> edited to add: you guys are the best! I totally feel better because at least no one is rubbing up on me, and I am not standing in sewage! I was thinking it would be great to get more more more! So if you want to (would be willing to) link to this from your own blog, maybe I'll have a contest for the best horrible job story.

Here are my current stressors:

1. I was promised a raise by boss, told I deserved raise by supervisor, then supervisor said I didn't deserve raise, then went to HR to see if raise could happen, but now boss is denying raise was ever promised.
2. In the meantime, I have taken on the jobs of 1.5 people.
3. My supervisor took on the other .5 job, and is planning on delegating most of that to me.
4. which means I will be doing the job of 3 people.
5. for less money than anyone else.
6. because apparently I have no real skills (omg, writing that is making me cry - it hurt so much when she said that).
7. my supervisor is refusing to train me in doing these new jobs (one of which is very high stress and high profile), and will not help me if I have questions.
8. big boss promised to train me, but is not doing so. i'm terrified it will be trial by fire, and that will break me, because I am a perfectionist and desperate to please, and because:
9. I am the recipient of a lot - a hell of a lot - of anger in this workplace. It's bad enough big boss and, more devastatingly, my supervisor get SOOOOOOO angry at me for making errors, asking questions, for not talking quickly enough, for not .... for ..... you get the picture - everything I do is wrong. But of late, the receptionist has been yelling at me and getting angry at me. It is inappropriate (I am her superior), and I don't know how much longer I can take any of it.

no advice, just stories (or empathy or whatever).


wait - why did michigan not change its primary to later given that they don't get democratic delegates? is that primary just worthless for the democrats?

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 10:34 PM, Blogger Propter Doc said...

I was once a receptionist at an antenatal clinic. Had to deal with women who just found out they miscarried. Including one woman who had had over 30 of them but the husband insisted on trying for kids (cultural thing).
I then moved to the ER. People bled on my desk and passed out in the washrooms.

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Bella Sultane said...

A long time ago I worked in a Swedish bakery/deli. It looked cute from the front, and the food wasn't half bad. Little did the customers know that the drain would regularly back up and that I made most of their sandwiches standing foot deep in sewage water.

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger k8 said...

That is truly horrible. I'm very very sorry you have to put up with all of that. I don't have anything close to that - not even remotely close, but here's a few examples of workplace fun.

1) While working in a bakery over the summer, I frosted donuts every morning at 4am. Doesn't sound bad, but to this day the scent of many breakfast pastries makes me feel ill.

2) As a teenager, I had an after school job as a grocery store check out girl. When irrational customers chose to scream at me or engage in other abusive behavior (for, say, asking for ID for checks or alcohol as required), I was expected to stand there and take it with little to no assistance from management. As soon as I turned 18 I switched to deli, where customers never yelled at workers. People are much more pleasant when they aren't handing over their money.

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger ~profgrrrrl~ said...

I once had a boss who never did any work and liked to rub his hands all over the female employees (but not me because I was a "kid" -- he actually called our admin "mom" as in she's mom, he's dad ... ew). He showed up at 7:30, wrote in his journal (yes, diary) for an hour. Meditated until 9. Then asked why my cube was always messy. Got on the phone and loudly conversed with other about his Asian women fetish. Did the crossword. Bugged me and "mom" about deadlines while rubbing up on "mom." Took lunch. Cleaned the three papers off his desk. And left promptly at 3:30.

 
At 1:03 AM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Here are but a few of my horror stories....

First day on the job, burned both my left hand and the tops of both feet... My had was burned by hot coffee when my store manager ran right into me and didn't apologize... the feet got burned when some bozo passed the hot fry baskets over them... It took about 5 years for all of my scars to go away.

Horrible manic/depressive boss at a phone center for a chain of beauty salons-- she spent most of the day crying and being jealous that I had a boyfriend and she didn't... because I wasn't as pretty or athletic as her. Later she'd get mad and throw pencils across the room... since I sat next to her I was always afraid I'd get a pencil in my right ear.

Psycho co-worker at a phone job... we worked at a credit union for the Air Force and Army. Every time she'd take a loan application from a pilot, she'd tell the whole saga about how she was married to an ex-military now airline pilot who cheated on her all the time. This saga was about 30 minutes long -- then, she'd curse pilots for a while longer and finish the loan application. All these guys wanted was a loan for an SUV or something in Guam, and they had to listen to that bitch....

At McDonalds a manager sometimes got sent from another store to help us close. She was an aggressive lesbian who would rub herself against me (claiming to be crowded in the passage way I knew was clear...) when I was doing the dishes... I was about 17 and she was almost 50... ick!

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Arbitrista said...

I'm having job problems too :(

And no, the Michigan Democratic primary means nothing. But if it goes to the convention and the Florida and Michigan delegates could determine the outcome, expect a nasty floor fight.

 
At 10:46 PM, Anonymous New Kid on the Hallway said...

I've been lucky enough to have pretty decent jobs/bosses (Former College excluded), but in high school I worked in a supermarket, and got to be the "courtesy desk" person. Because my state had a bottle bill, that was where people would return their empty bottles/cans for money. We had to count each and every one of them, and can I say that people didn't wash them out very carefully? Once I found an open but not empty can of cat food in the bag of cans - ewww! (Though the person who brought in the bag was horribly embarrassed, so I felt better.)

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Seeking Solace said...

I worked at a law firm where the partner that ran my department was a rage-o-holic. He would yell and scream at everyone. The only peace we ever got was when his wife gave birth because he was with her for two weeks!!!

I also worked as an associate at a small law firm where my boss was a total know-it-all. He would walk around letting everyoen know how much smarter he was!

Whem I ran my own law practice, I made sure that I would NEVER treat anyone like that!!!!

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Geeka said...

Butcher shop. Where they made their own kielbasa.

Can't actually eat lunchmeat (aside from salami, they didn't make that).

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Clio Bluestocking said...

Tip of the iceberg on a former boss: he left a message on the office phone for me, on a Saturday morning, while he was on vacation with his family, to tell me that he was thinking of me and that he had a dream about me the night before. He also specialized in creating funding crises, for which he would have to find someone to bail us out, and then expected to be thanked profusely for "saving the day." Asshole.

You work in academia, don't you? Because that fucked up shit that you listed sounds so very academia. I mean really: you have to do the job of three people because you have no skills. Do they listen to the words that come out of their mouths? You have my complete sympathy.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home