.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

1.23.2008

Hillary needs me.

But first, I don't mean to keep dumping on Obama because if he won the nomination - I'd support him to the ends of the earth, but he keeps frustrating and annoying me. The latest is that on the news this a.m., they showed clips of a fundraiser he held, and it looks like the female wait staff wore skimpy tank tops that said "Obama girl" on them. Now, it's possible they did this without his approval or knowledge - but if he in any way sanctioned that, I find that beyond tacky, and objectifying.

Why Hillary needs me: she needs some help in learning how to attack without looking like she is attacking. I'm glad she is being more pointed and direct with Obama and calling him on his speciousness and the inconsistencies in his record, but she ends up looking a little mean at times, because Obama really does engender a lot of warmth and liking in his audience, even if they don't support him.

She needs a shrink to teach her how to ask pointed questions with a curious tone, and to just vaguely point out the inconsistencies in a way that appears puzzled rather than mean. Shrinks learn a lot of hedge words and tones to help do this, and I think she needs to just be a bit more dispassionate and get the evidence out there, and let us make sense out of it.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Anonymous c'trix said...

Heh - in other words, she should act more ladylike? Hedging/indirect speech, questioning rather than stating - good examples of feminine discourse styles. I think you are right- people would accept her more if she stopped challenging stereotypes of how women are supposed to speak/look/act.

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

What an awesome idea, Shrinky! If I ever go into politics, I'd hire you as my adviser!

C'trix, I've also seen male politicians make good use of the "puzzled yet curious" tone for asking pointed questions, and I think it gets them more public good will than a straight-out attack does. But I agree that a straight-out attack loses a politician more points if they are female than if they are male.

 
At 9:44 AM, Anonymous from away said...

I don't think the president needs to be friendly, they need to be able to do the job. The male candidates are expected to attack (or, at least, supported when they do) -- it's considered strong leadership.

I'd rather she lost than change to avoid seeming like a strong woman. If voters are too busy whining that she seems mean, then we don't deserve her.

Something useful, I think, would be for people and/or the media to stop calling her by her first name. All the men are at least addressed by their surnames. She's Senator Clinton, and maybe more people should be reminded of that.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home