.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

1.05.2008

An odd foray back into blogging?

We'll save the backstory for the hiatus for another day ... if at all... but for now, a bit of politics. And parents...

I talked with my mother this afternoon, from which I have to take a break as she is much crueler to me after I've seen her - she has more information about me with me to hurt me.

We talked about the presidential candidates, and I noted that I have had a hard time deciding who I want to vote for. I adore John Edwards, but have some reservations about his electability (I would vote for him in a heartbeat if I could put down a second choice) and some (rightly or wrongly) worries about his wife and her health and the impact that would have on his presidency. I love the idea of a woman president (and have mused previously here on the blog much surprise that in this election my favorite is a white male!), and there is much to like about Hillary - an I thought she was fairly charming tonight, when she wasn't going after Obama.

And Obama ... he's beautiful, but I don't know that he has what I want in a president. I noted to my mother that I felt disappointed when he took the lead in Iowa, and she told me I ought not let the fact that he snubbed me when I met him color my opinion of him.

First of all, that's not what I am not a supporter of him -- I don't support him because of his denigratory views on welfare, because of his arrogance, because of the fact that he is untested in national politics, because I have no sense of what he has actually done politically that has done any good, because he threw his hat into the presidential election shortly after being elected to the senate, which chaps my hide. I wish he'd waited a term and then had run - had given himself - and us - a chance to see what he can do. What has he done? What has he done for his state? I know far more about Chris Dodd's achievements than I do about Obama's!

At the same time, I don't know that my "hurt" over being snubbed by him is necessarily a bad reason to not support him. When I met him, he was very close to throwing his hat in the ring ... so he was unofficially stumping for himself. When I met him, it was very very very clear that he was interested in two groups of people: college students and people of color. He quite literally didn't "deign" to speak to anyone who he didn't think fit those two demographic groups. That bothers me - a lot. As he and I spoke, it was clear he was far more interested in the next person in line to talk to him - a college student. Why am I - and my demographic - unimportant to him? That concerns me, actually, about what issues will be of import to him in his presidency.

I have to say, I wish that all primaries were run like the Iowa caucuses ... they look super fun to me.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

At 11:43 PM, Blogger BrightStar said...

hi! I would like to participate in a caucus. I agree. Looks like fun!

It's odd if a candidate only targets particular demographics, I agree.

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger Anastasia said...

first of all, welcome back. truly.

second, obama comes across as so arrogant to me, I don't even know what to think about it. I don't like it.

Third, your story about meeting him bothers me. it bothers me a lot. I have honestly thought about it in the last few weeks. not, oh he snubbed shrinky but you know...when shrinky met him, it was really clear to her he was working the game. That reality combined with his rhetoric...I just don't trust him.

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Welcome back!!

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger The History Enthusiast said...

I'm so glad you're back...I missed you!

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Ianqui said...

Welcome back!

I'd decided I was going to vote for Dodd, mostly because he's against the death penalty and he was the only one who proposed a carbon tax. But now I just don't know. I'll have to think hard.

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous New Kid on the Hallway said...

Shrinky!! It's so great to see you back!! I missed you!

I am really lame, personally - I'd vote for Clinton, Obama, or Edwards. I mean, I know I'm not going to vote for a Republican! And whenever I do those "who should you vote for" websites, my best match is Kucinich - and I don't think he's remotely electable (which does matter to me). Although I have kind of a leaning towards Hillary - I think part of the problem she's facing is that there are so many more "don't"s for women than men that she can scarcely turn around without checking herself to see if she's done anything potentially wrong. I know that's kind of par for the course for politics, but I think it's much worse for her.

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger k8 said...

Welcome back!

 
At 8:38 PM, Anonymous khora said...

So good to see you, shrinks.

Like NK, the online match I always get is Kucinich. And like NK, I think he has a snowball's chance in hell. As for the others, ugh. I'm having a terrible time coming to a decision about any of them.

Love from the former "lucyrain"

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

I'm so excited you are back! Please stay back! Please! :)

(I don't have anything to contribute to the discussion about the US elections, but I (still) hate that your mother is mean to you.)

 
At 11:06 AM, Anonymous New Kid on the Hallway said...

Ooh! I come back to see if there are more comments and get to see the former "lucyrain," too! It's a banner day! :-)

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Seeking Solace said...

Welcome back!!!

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Lina said...

Good to see you back! :)

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Ursa said...

yay! Shrinky's back! yay.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger RussianViolets said...

Welcome back! I've been checking periodically, and I've missed you! -)

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Eddie said...

I'm so glad you're back!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home