.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

2.16.2008

Since I've outed myself anyway...

(see post below), I will say that I am so sick of the freezing cold. I'm sick of snow on the sidewalks, I'm sick of ice, I'm sick of having to make sure I am wearing shoes that won't slip on ice and snow, I'm sick of slipping and sliding and falling ... and I hate every single person who has failed to shovel their sidewalks.

I am not sick of winter, per se - just the painful side effects of a very very cold winter.

And speaking of, I may have gotten frostbite on my hands last weekend. I'm not really sure. My hands have been having major freakouts lately - my palms were covered for a few weeks with painful, itchy bumps. My boss said they might have been hives (due to stress). It then turned into feeling like my hands had been burned, they scarred over and were painful and very sensitive. Then on monday, it looked like I had some flesh-eating virus - the skin was being eaten away. Now they just again feel like they've been burned, with some weird nerve stuff, and the skin is a little crispy. Does this sound like anything?

Also, does anyone have recs for a really really good balm for hands? Nothing seems to be working to resoften the skin.

And yes, I know I ought to have seen a doctor.

8 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, Blogger k8 said...

Maybe calamine? Or something with aloe in it? Aveeno has a nice anti-itch cream that contains calamine. It reeks, but it works for itchiness. I also like the body shop's intensive hand treatment lotion. I'm in Wisconsin, so I definitely get the extreme weather/skin issues.

But, if it is frostbite, I would definitely go with an aloe cream. Ibuprofen can help with inflammation. And, of course, medical treatment is good too.

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger hypatia said...

I don't have any suggestions - but my ears feel about the same way. I think it's frostbite. And yes, winter sucks. This particular winter in the midwest really sucks. And tomorrow with a 50 degree temp drop and snow is going be awful. I'm ready for spring.

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger Propter Doc said...

Just check for new chemical things: new laundry or dish detergent, a new metal ring (nickel allergy), new hand soap in the washrooms at work, anything like that. The cold makes skin conditions caused by that kinda crap worse. I'd use a nice light fragrance free handcream that you trust during the day and maybe find something more 'heavy duty' to put on last thing at nice, so it has a good long time to work its magic. I use the norwegian formula stuff (not sure if you get it down there) but it is really really greasy so it is a last thing at night.
I also have nightmare skin on my hands because of the cold, wearing rough gloves and all the evil chemicals I deal with. I sympathize! Sore hands are really upsetting, especially if it is noticable.

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger Propter Doc said...

Ooops, I meant last thing at night, not nice! Sorry...

 
At 3:55 AM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Try the lush bar -- it is pretty neat, as it turns to lotion when it comes in contact with your body heat... it works for my uber-dry hands and feet when nothing else will.

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Clio Bluestocking said...

Burt's Bees Hand Salve, also that Norweigan fisherman's lotion stuff by Neutrogena. Maybe hydrocortisone cream or ointment. I had a friend who had what you describe -- it was eczema brought on by stress in her case. The cold weather can't help. Hope you feel better. Winter just sucks.

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

The cold totally can give you hives -- my cousin gets them. Of course, stress never helps.

I got stuff like that on my hands and my toes and only Vaseline really helped when the skin got all dried and cracked afterward.

 
At 11:25 AM, Anonymous zelda said...

sorry about the frost bite. glad to see you're back to blogging! hope to hear more from you!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home