.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

7.06.2008

Current interests and obsessions

I spent much of my 4-day weekend cleaning and organizing my house. It was pretty bad - it's embarassing how bad it was, actually. I still need to clean the kitchen, and some other little pockets (like my nightstand, closets, etc.) - but overall, it's in pretty good shape. I also tried to do some little projects. I took an old corkboard, painted it purple, and stuck some nails in it along the top edge (i'll replace the nails with something more attractive soon) and hung many of my necklaces from it. One thing I like about that is being able to easily see how long each is - not to mention they are no longer tangling nor tarnishing (I had some hanging on the bathroom towel rack - but that is a bad place for them due to the steam/moisture).

I made three of these (below) for my bedroom in fuschia, red, and orange. I ran out of tissue paper, otherwise I'd have made more.


I found another project in which tissue paper was papier mached into a bowl - which I want to try next. Since I ran out of tissue paper, I tried it with some fabric by using modge podge to stick it to a balloon - I'll see in the morning how it is.

My other two projects are making a cuckoo clock out of cardboard (it was super cute before I painted it - now I dislike the paint job - so it's on hold) and renovating a doll house. I found a 4-room dollhouse at a garage sale. It's wood and in pretty good shape (albeit filthy). I plan to (after I clean it) make each room a different color (red, fuschia, green, blue) by painting each and putting up wallpaper (groovy paper) and then just use it as decoration. This is my inspiration:


There's an old wooden drop leaf table sitting in the backyard right now - you have no idea how much I want to sneak out and "disappear" it to my kitchen! :) I found an old oriental rug that had been abandoned last week - which is now in my library.

I got these shoes at my thrift store last weekend. Shoe prices aren't marked - but I think they were less than $5.00. They are in perfect shape - worn some, but you can only tell by the bottoms. They came with the little shoe keeper thing in them - so their previous owner took very very good care of them.





The black part is a sheer fabric...With embroidered letters!

they fit, but my feet are too wide for them - I'm sure I'd tear the fabric on the first wearing. But I certainly couldn't leave them there! They're made by an italian maker - I tried research how much they might have cost, and how old they are - but was unable to.

So, I need to find a new good home for them ... Today when I was at that thrift store again, I realized that in my head when I saw a really good piece of clothing that wouldn't fit me or that wasn't my style, I would say, "I hope someone good adopts it" or "I hope it gets adopted soon." What a freak I am.

Currently I am completely obsessed with finding a dress like this one:




From Fashionist.

I've been working far too hard, far too many days a week, and far too many hours a day. It was good to take an extra day off and just focus on my home. I also have been cooking - tofu tacos for a couple of days, and couscous today (with garbanzos, lime, feta, tomatoes, and lime - and this time I added a little ginger - I'm obsessed with ginger lately - and live on trader joe's candied ginger), and that feels good too.

It's supposed to be humid tomorrow. I hate having to figure out what to wear in humidity! I got a linen shirtdress from my thrift store today that I had hoped I could wear. I let out a dart in the waist, and the waist fits me perfectly now - but it is too small in the hips. ARGH!

Part of the burst of cleaning too is because my mom is coming. We've just learned that my grandfather (my mom's dad) is dying - and has a few months to live. Although he is 91, it really is unexpected. We all thought he'd outlive all of us. My mom is going to drive cross country to go stay with him until the end. She'll stop here and I'll go with her to his house and stay there for a week. This has required not only cleaning, but also shorts buying (because everyone there is very sportif!) and swimsuit contemplation. This is the one I want:



Very cute, no? I've not tried it on yet - so I have no idea if it will be at all flattering (it's from urban outfitters, by the way). I got three pairs of bermuda shorts. There's something about a fitted bermuda short with a wide waistband that is super flattering. I almost want to wear them every day!

2 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, Blogger Seeking Solace said...

Wow. You have been busy.

Love the swimsuit. Very cute!

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

I can totally see you wearing that swimsuit. And the dress; I hope you find it.

I'm glad you've been doing some good things for yourself, even if you're working too much.

I'm sorry about your grandfather. I hope the trip is as unstressful as possible under the circumstances. *hugs*

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home