.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

9.18.2008

Roller coaster of a day

This morning I walked to the train with plans of stopping downtown to go to the farmer's market before work. I also wanted to stop at starbucks because mine was out of chai this week (the horrors!). When I got the the train station, I found the train was down we had to take a shuttle. It took an hour to get downtown - and I had to stand the whole time.

The bus driver stopped at one point and yelled out that this was the stop for those of us who needed a specific stop. The problem was, many of us needed that stop, but had no idea where we actually were. Several people asked if she really wasn't going to the stop (because after all, this was a shuttle - so you'd think it would follow the same route as the train). One guy made some comment about how demanding the riders were and asked if they were going to ask the bus driver to take them home too.

Turns out, she was a full 10 blocks from the train station. I rushed there, and was in pain after having had to stand that long by the time I got downtown. I wa too tired to go to the farmer's market, and too grouchy to do so as well. On the plus side, I did get to stop at a bakery I see a lot but am never actually near when it is open. And I got a very yummy banana oatmeal muffin, a cornmeal and cranberry scone, and a peach yogurt parfait. So yummy.

I got to work 2 hours after I left the house. Grrr..... a lot of people have very long commutes due to the effects of the flooding here, so I ought not complain.

When I got to work, my boss decided I needed to get some stuff prepared for our department chair. So, I rushed to get it all done - and he never showed. grrr...

But then later that day, I learned that I am coming into some money - which is good given that I have stock in AIG and my bank is washington mutual! It's not clear when I get the money - but it's nice knowing it's there.

Then a little later I got a call offering me a job. I'd interviewed earlier this week - on tuesday, actually. It's a good job - basically focusing on what I like about my current job, with less of what bores me. It's in a small department at the same med school where I work now. The department chair reenacted monty python skits during my interview - which was pretty funny. I liked the lightness of the environment and the way they interacted. I hope it's not too good to be true.

I have until monday to tell them my salary thoughts and to give them some sense of a start date.

I told my boss that I'd been offered the job - she was one of my references, so I thought they'd called her. They hadn't. But what's odd is that they had called another of my references (and told her they were offering me the job!). My boss seemed upset and basically said, "Okay, good. It's for the best. I have to talk to the person waiting for me outside my office." Ouch.

I went into my office and cried. Crazy as it is, I will miss her terribly. This is particularly crazy given that last week she accused me of emotional blackmail (because I told her that I was applying for new jobs for reasons I won't go into here), told me I'd done nothing of value since january (uhh... that's not what my review from July says!), said she dreaded the thought of continuing to work with me (ouch), she told me I had "inserted" myself into her personal life and that she was "done with" me, etc., etc. I keep hearing some of these (and others) in my head. I think I blew an interview on monday because I just felt so horrible and worthless.

I won't miss her temper, but I will miss her terribly.

Our HR person advised me to ask for 5-10k more than I am making more. Anyone have any good advice on negotiating such things?

1 Comments:

At 1:02 AM, Blogger Lucy said...

Congratulations on the new job! I'm sorry your boss is even making this hard. I hope the new one is good for you.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home