.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

9.15.2008

Sometimes I feel guilty...

like when I was thinking of posting yesterday's AWESOME NYT article on Sarah P (in which they asserted she basically governs by nepotism and personal vendettas) and the SNL skit with Tina Fey playing her. I feel guilty about how much I hate her, and can't help but wonder at why )do I feel betrayed because she's a woman? furious because women like her get so much positive attention despite being no better than other women who get lambasted for being assertive/aggressive while women like Sarah P lipstick-coat their intentions and ambitions?).

On another note - I notice I am really into sci fi right now - which is a little bizarre to me. Bizarre because it's atypical of me. I moved from firefly (simply because I ran out of episodes and watched the film) and onto Terminator: The Sarah Connor chronicles (btw, never saw the movies). Each has such different views of the future. Both are fairly dismal, but firefly's is much more complex, and the people are more complicated mixes of good and bad. Terminator is bleak bleak bleak, but it is so black and white it's not even funny.

It's odd to me to consider I might be seeking some escapism through them - and yet it's escapism into a much worse world than the one I'm in. Is that somehow comforting?

I will say that it is nice to finally be obsessed with a show I can actually watch on tv - since I don't have cable, I have to watch my other obsessions (Madmen and Project Runway) through other means, which means delays and making sure to avoid spoilers. But in 10 minutes, I can watch the next episode of Terminator, for free, at the same time as the rest of the world.

Does everyone else know about hulu.com? Free tv shows with minimal ads.

4 Comments:

At 9:19 PM, Blogger dr four eyes said...

Thanks for the Hulu tip! I'm going to send it to Chica--she's canceling cable tv now that I'm gone, so she'll love this.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger The History Enthusiast said...

I like hulu, and the other two that I sometimes use are http://www.surfthechannel.com and http://www.megavideo.com.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

dr. four eyes: I notice I prefer watching tv on my computer - the quality is better and it's on my schedule.

history enthusiast: thanks to your rec of surfthechannel - I can now watch the Philippines version of project runway!!! Thank you!

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger kathy a. said...

i've been pretty obsessed with palin, too -- but i don't feel guilty. i feel betrayed, angry, insulted. terrified that she is getting any traction at all, and more terrified at the thought of someone holding her views and sitting in the vice-presidency.

it would be bad enough if she had been a known figure through this already-long campaign -- but to spring an unqualified unknown on us at the last moment, hoping nobody would look too closely because by gosh, she is fresh! and to do that immediately after years of hillary-bashing, and weeks of chatter about how hillary-supporters are supposedly so darned sad about her loss that they would rather vote for mccain than anyone?

mccain sold his soul, and wrote us all off as chumps. there is no way that any rational person could believe she is the best qualified person to step in, should something happen to mccain. how damned stupid does he think we are?

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home