.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

10.12.2008

Little tv poll

without poll technology:

1. Do you plan to watch the final debate this week?
if no, do you think you may end up watching it anyway?

2. have your tv watching habits changed since the tv strike?
2a. are you watching more or less actual tv this new season? more or less tv on the web?

3. do you think cable/satellite is becoming obsolete with more and more tv being available on the web?

4. would you prefer to pay a fixed amount per month for premium channels to watch them on the web instead of having to purchase them on top of cable? For example, on showtime they advertise that it is like $15.00 a month - would you pay that to watch on the web?


I'll respond to my questions.

I don't plan to watch the debate - but I've a hunch I will end up watching it. It's just hard to believe that it will change anything for me, that I'll learn anything, or that anything substantive will occur. But, I won't want to miss anything just in case.

I notice that I'm less aware this year of new shows, of tv schedules, of season premieres, etc. I'm finding myself watching less tv and am watching things more on itunes, hulu, and surfthechannel. Part of this is that I don't always want to watch things when they are on (but don't feel like dealing with recording things) and don't have cable, so use alternate means of watching things I want to see. Given how much I can see on the web, it's hard for me to see cable/satellite as something to spend money on. And if showtime, hbo, etc., made their channels available on the web for a cost, I might be very tempted to do that.

I also kind of like waiting to watch something on dvd. Right now, I'm watching Freaks and Geeks, inspired by having watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall last weekend, and loving that (despite some of the issues related to women's portrayal - I love Jason Segel so much).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home