.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

11.30.2008

A dilemma

Today at the thrift store I bought a grey shawl collared sweater that was $4.10, and then 50% off, so it was $2.05. When I got it home, I found that the brand (TSE) and the material (100% cashmere) put its original value upwards of $500.

That made me think I should give it to my mom for xmas because it is really nice and very luxurious.

But, I don't know that she'd like it (due to the style), and I'd be sad to give her something I love so much only to have it languish in her closet.

The argument for keeping it for me is that it would be a nice bday gift for me at a time I can't really afford to get myself anything.

If I knew she'd like it, I'd give it to her with no hesitation.

5 Comments:

At 9:17 PM, Blogger Seeking Solace said...

I think you should keep it. Something so beautiful should be given to someone who appreciates it.

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Anastasia said...

keep it. It needs to be loved.

 
At 2:48 AM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Keep it -- you've had a difficult year and it isn't your mom's style, so she won't wear it. If you wear it and she loves it, you can lend it to her.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

Keep it! What a great find!

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Ursa said...

I definitely hear it calling *your* name, not your mom's!

You will find her something else she will love (or at least like better), and it's not the dollar amount that makes a gift special, but the 'fit', so this is clearly not meant to be her gift. The universe will bring you something for her, too.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home