.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

12.19.2008

And just like that, things can change

Apparently there is still a chance they won't be allowed to hire me for the job. New edicts about personnel are coming down today (right before xmas, nice), and it is possible that no hires (even internal) will be allowed, period.

Luckily I got an email asking me to interview for a much much better job on monday, so I'm not freaking out too much. Except, I had to write my resignation letter yesterday, even though I'm being let go, so that my new position can be processed. I am currently freaking out that my having done that might screw me out of unemployment if it comes to that. Does anyone know?

I'm worried too what would happen if I got offered this other position. While things are still not solid, it's ok. But I doubt they will move fast enough through the hiring process to make me feel ok about turning down the other job.

Cart before the horse, and all that. I just wonder if I should let my new place of employment know that I am going to keep dong interviews given that this may not end up working out.

5 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Blogger Seeking Solace said...

I wouldn't say anything.

Best of luck!

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger dr four eyes said...

Dang! I was just thinking, "Oh, I think I forgot to congratulate Shrinky on the new job!"

Re: unemployment--perhaps talk to someone in your human resources office about this.

Several years ago, I was working at a non-profit in a part-time position. They decided to combine my job with another part-time job to make one full-time position. Technically, they offered to let me apply for the new job, but I knew my boss wouldn't hire me for it (the reorganization was a way for her to push me out). Though I wrote a letter saying that I wouldn't be coming back to the job, on the advice of a colleague I talked to the human resources person who agreed that I had been laid off. As a result, I was able to collect unemployment while I looked for a new job/finished my dissertation.

This is only one anecdote and from a state that is not your own, but it may well be that the letter of resignation matter less if you got some official--written--notice that your position was being eliminated well before you wrote that letter. Worth checking out just so you have some back-up should there be a lag time between leaving this job and staring your next one.

 
At 9:15 AM, Anonymous Twirly said...

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/jobs/FJ186/Research_Development_Officer_2_Posts/

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous twirly said...

why the whole thing didn't copy

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/jobs/FJ186

/Research_Development_Officer_2

_Posts

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

I agree that it's weird that they asked you to write your letter of resignation. Can you refuse to do that? I think I'd handle it by playing dumb... saying something like, "I don't understand. I don't want to resign, so why would I write a letter like that?"

I think you should keep doing interviews and the other job doesn't need to know, and if they find out, they should understand. Until you have firmed up employment, it seems to me that you would have to continue to look elsewhere.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home