.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

12.22.2008

Oy.

I had a phone interview today for a job. At the end, she said, "I definitely want to bring you in for a face-to-face interview." Super! But, interviews will occur mid-to-late January.

My start date for my new job is January 16.

But, I will not know until January 5 - at the earliest - if the job will really happen. They think it will because they haven't heard anything from the College - but we won't know till then.

What this could mean is that I could conceivably start a new job, interview for another position and potentially be offered that position just a couple weeks into my new job.

And the kicker is that the potential job starts at a salary at LEAST 10k more than my starting salary at the job I've accepted. It is a Director title - so much higher rank, it is in my field, working at a much much better university (profgrrrl's alma mater, actually), and would be exactly on the right track to a very good future in the field I have wanted to work in for eons (it seems).

It would be such a good job for me, it's not even funny.

I so don't know what to do. I have to do the second interview clearly - I have to at least let this play out and see if I get an offer, then I can decide. But I still feel like I should let the place where I've accepted a job know that this not knowing if I am really hired has forced me to keep my options open so that they aren't shocked.

Because seriously, if I got offered a director position at more than 10k than I would make in the other job - how could I not take it?

But how could I screw them over like that? My hunch is that then they would not be allowed to replace the position, and they would be totally screwed. On the other hand, if on the 5th I find out that they can't hire me, I'd be totally screwed too. But in that instance, it wouldn't be their fault.

5 Comments:

At 10:54 PM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

Yes, let this play out! You do not need to let the other place know either way, but it would be okay to turn the place down really soon after starting, because you have to watch out for your long term future first and foremost. I know that you would feel badly about turning the other place down, but I have been taught by mentors that institutions do not value loyalty. This means it is most reasonable to look out for your own long term needs, because institutions will not look out for your long term needs.

That said, I think it's admirable for you to consider the complexities and perspectives of those who are hiring you. It says a lot about your strong character.

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

oh, and... Congratulations on all of these possibilities! I am so happy that people are recognizing that your skills would be valuable to them.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Seeking Solace said...

Cheers to you!!! This is such awsome news!!!

You should let it ride. You really don't owe the old place anything.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Ianqui said...

But I still feel like I should let the place where I've accepted a job know that this not knowing if I am really hired has forced me to keep my options open so that they aren't shocked.

Absolutely. You should let them know, and they'll have to understand. Super G is pretty much in exactly this same position, and everyone has been very understanding about it. (You can even play up the "in this economy and all..." aspect if you want/need.) This is a good situation for you. It's good to have options!

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Breena Ronan said...

You have to protect your own interests. It sounds cold, but neither place is looking out for you first. They have a job they need done and need someone to do it, if not you, then someone else. Worst case you accept the first job and then have to leave. If it's only been a week or two they will likely be able to call another candidate and offer them the position.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home