.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

12.19.2008

Would you rather...?

If there was a chance that you were being laid off, and that your last day would be January 1, would you rather:
a. be told of the possibility now
b. wait and not know anything until it is decided?

Someone in my office may be laid off on January 1, and that person hasn't even been told yet that this is a possibility. I don't know if that person suspects it or not.

Part of me thinks it'd be better to know - but what could you do really? It's not like in this next two weeks you can really begin looking for a job. And it would cause a lot of anxiety and worry over the holidays.

But on the other hand, it gives a little more time to adjust and prepare before the last day.

3 Comments:

At 10:01 PM, Blogger Ianqui said...

I'd definitely rather know. Definitely.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Know now -- not later. Mostly because I could significantly restrict my spending and work on my CV etc... to be ready to job hunt starting January 5. Also, it would let me get over the unattractive bitterness sooner, so getting another job would be easier.

My layoff a few years ago was of the surprise variety - and it sucked.

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger shrinkykitten said...

I leaked a little bit of info to my friend whose job may end in April. She was somewhat worried, but she doesn't know what I know (that our dept chair thinks she is completely superfluous; and about the other potential layoffs). I felt like for her it could truly be helpful to just inject a little anxiety (I couldn't tell her too much because if she went to her boss or my boss, they'd know it came from me). She's talented and will have lots of options.

I'd rather know too ... it's just the time of year that makes me wonder if it is better to be blissfully ignorant. I know my layoff really harshed my holiday mood.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home