.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

1.07.2009

Don't forget why I'm leaving...

Tomorrow is my last day. People keep asking if I am excited and acting like this is such a good thing. People - even apparently my boss - keep forgetting that I am not leaving by choice. I' ve been fired - let go, whatever. Yes, I (likely - paperwork still is being held up) have a new job. But it is hard to get excited about it because I feel like crap for losing my job (and because I had to take a pay cut at the new job). This is hardly some big huge exciting life transition.

I've been trying so hard over these past couple of months to be positive, to focus on work, and to maintain good relationships. I think that has, to some extent, fooled people into thinking I'm ok with all of this. I don't want anyone to feel badly - but I do want those close to me to be a little more sensitive to the reality of this. Losing a job is hard - no matter what. And this wasn't due to money - this was personal. I know that there are major regrets on my boss' part - she feels very guilty, but the fact is she decided to fire me. And that hurts tremendously and mucks with my sense of competence and worth.

3 Comments:

At 7:35 PM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

How awkward and uncomfortable. I'm so sorry. :(

 
At 7:44 PM, Anonymous New Kid on the Hallway said...

I'm very sorry. I know how you feel - after I was terminated at Former College, I walked into a meeting to have a full prof greet me with, "So I hear you're leaving us!!" All cheery-fake-sad-like, as if it were something I had chosen. This person was generally so incredibly nice and supportive that I figured she simply couldn't have heard the reason I was leaving, but it still stung. So yeah, not fun! I hope the paperwork for your new job goes through quickly!

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

It seems to me like, "I've been FIRED, dumbass. How excited do you THINK I am?" would not be a wholly inappropriate response. But you are probably a nicer person than me :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home