.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

1.13.2009

I hate this email on so many levels

Dear Shrinky,
given your answer I will consider you as a candidate interested in this position together with other qualified applicants. However, I would like to honor your time as much as my time so one important question we would like to ask first to screen if there is an initial match is about salary expectations. Could you please let me know what are your expectations in terms of salary?

thank you


reaction: I hate the lack of capitalization, I hate being required to name a figure before even interviewing, I hate her talking about needing to honor *her* time, I hate that she talks about "other qualified candidates."

I wrote back and said I'd hate to give a figure because my interest in the job superceded any salary concerns. I wish they'd just list a range in the ad rather than cutting people out like this. Allow people to self-determine if the range fits their needs BEFORE they waste the time applying. I put in a lot of time crafting the letter for this position because the job description was 3 pages long, so I crafted a letter that responded to each of the themes in the description. I'm very interested in the position - and the time I put into the letter reflected this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home