.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

shrinkykitten

"...another reason I'm intrigued with the hanged of Salem, especially the women, is that a number of them aroused suspicion in the first place because they were financially independent, or sharp-tongued, or kept to themselves. In other words, they were killed off for the same sort of life I live right now but with longer skirts and fewer cable channels." Sarah Vowell, The partly cloudy patriot.

1.10.2009

Please tell me you'd be hurt too...

At my going away party the other night, my boss came late from the faculty meeting. She said that the dept chair announced at it that I had been let go (most faculty thought I was leaving of my own accord - a perception likely reinforced by the fact that I sent a long thank you email to the department in which I thanked a lot of people individually - incl. the dept chair and my boss - for everything they had done for me). He also announced that two other staff were being let go.

One of those people was at my party. Luckily she had been given something of a heads up by my boss the day before - but it was at that time still iffy. It was no longer iffy.

So her boss and my boss spent much of my party talking about how horrible it would be if that person was let go and strategizing how to get some of the more influential faculty to fight for her.

This happened in front of me.

At my going away party.

I had been let go.

No one fought for me.

That I know of at least.

I was crushed.

It sucked.




I spent most of yesterday in bed, crying.

9 Comments:

At 6:45 PM, Blogger k8 said...

That's terrible!

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I would have been hurt too. I think it was a pretty rude thing to do at your going away party -- which was supposed to be focused on you.

Also, you don't know that they didn't fight for you. The thing about academics is that they don't like to admit to losing those kinds of fights, so they probably wouldn't have told you.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger StyleyGeek said...

That's horrible. I would have been really upset.

I agree with ITPF, though - you'll never know whether they did fight for you. Or if they didn't, it might be because, as you point out, very few people knew that you had been let go rather than leaving of your own accord. It's a pity there wasn't an official announcement about you much earlier :(

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger BrightStar (B*) said...

That's awful. :(

 
At 8:30 AM, Anonymous aayor said...

Absolutely I would have been pissed. And hurt. And I'd have consoled myself with lots of "Well, I'm leaving. It's for the best. Freakin' a-holes."

But that's just me. ;-)

((shrinky))

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Anastasia said...

I agree with everyone else. I would have been really hurt by that. I'm sorry.

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger ~profgrrrrl~ said...

That sucks. I'm so sorry.

I hope they actually did fight for you, even if you'll never know.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Lucy said...

Yeah, that's awful. I'm sorry. I hope the next people appreciate you.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger kathy a. said...

how terrible. what jerks.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home